Thursday, July 22, 2010

60: Day 13 – Lucky for some

Today’s big news is that Maui has a new addition. A BIG congratulations go out to Anne and Tom (Hammerton) on the birth of baby Jack this morning. From his size we are already expecting him to follow in his fathers speed sailing footsteps. I look forward to the day when he is sailing alongside me at Ho’okipa (hopefully my other nephew Thomas and my God Son Seb will be there too!)

Liz and I took time out for a South Side visit this morning to La Perouse (which was windy but flat) and Big Beach with our friends, it is always great to see a different part of Maui and get a different perspective, the skim boarders were putting on a good show for the on looking tourists at Big Beach.

Looking towards La Perouse Bay, this can produce great waves (very tough) on a good south swell, although I prefer to surf at nearby Dumps.

The skimboarders put on a good show even if the waves were small.

After a visit to Maui Memorial Hospital to meet Jack for the first time I got on the water to test my new GT-31 GPS unit and see if I could finally get on the family Light Wind Speed Ladder (click for rules). With between 12 and 16 knots blowing at Kanaha and fairly flat conditions I was pleased with my peak (display) of 27.69 knots on my 8.0m and 125 ltr board. I will have to wait until I can work out the software and calculate my official speed before I will know if I will be regaining the trophy.

This is the trophy that I am trying to win back from Tom the current holder with 25.63 knots set back in April.

Today's GPS display, I am keen to see what my offical speed was, fingers crossed!

Liz and I are planning a day at Kanaha tomorrow and I plan on working on my slalom and will be tracking everything using the GPS. To sum up, all good here in Maui and our 13th day turned out to be rather a lucky one. Sailing record still 100% (12/12 possible days). There is a forecast for south swell so we may see some action on the surfboards over the coming days.

More to follow…

No comments:

Post a Comment